April 7

Math Bee with Mr. Silverman!

by: Ibrahim and Ryan

The annual math bee took place for fifth graders on April 4, 2017. Zameen and Youssef from Ms. Andrinopoulos’ class were the winners of this year’s bee. We asked one of the co-founders, Mr. Silverman about the P.S 102 Math Bee. Here are the questions and his answers.

Question 1: Who were the founders of the Math Be?

A: Ms. DeChillo and Ms. Quaglione who both used to work at P.S. 102, as well as myself and Mrs. Hom, were the first to organize the event. Since that time, Ms. Stornaiuolo has joined us as the bee’s host.

Question 2: How do you decide on the questions?

A: Well, for some time, we used the same questions for each grade with different twists. This year we increased the difficulty by using more Common Core questions.

Question 3: What inspired you to do the Math Bee?

A: Years ago we had a Reader of the Month, but had no way of celebrating math. The SLT was interested in a math celebration and the math bee was born. It started as Math Madness, just like March Madness.

Question 4: What makes this Math Bee different from others? If its not different what makes it special to you if it is?

A: Each year’s Math Bee has a new twist to keep things exciting. For example,  the Bayview Bonus and Core 4 Questions were things that we added along the way to keep the players and the audience interested

Question 5: Have you ever been in a Math Bee as kid?

A: No. but I love being part of the Math Bee and helping to celebrate Math at P.S 102.

The Math Bee been around for 9 years and it doesn’t look like it will be stopping anytime soon.

Posted April 7, 2017 by ryanb102 in category Events, Ibrahim, Ryan

About the Author

Ryan is a 5th grade student who likes being online. In his free time he eats,drinks,sleeps,plays, and works. His favorite shoes is yeezys, my favorite car is a mini cooper, and my favorite park is owls head park. He really likes spending time with his friends, and thinks Xbox one is better than a ps4

2 thoughts on “Math Bee with Mr. Silverman!

1. zameenc102

Dear Ryan,
    I really like your article. I was the first place winner in the Math Bee. What do you think that the best part about the Math Bee is?
    From,
    Zameen

Reply
    1. ibrahima102

(sigh… nobody remembers I did this article too)
      Dear Zameen,
      The best part about the Math Bee is, seeing your class representative and alternate focusing on the competition, and winning it, just like our class and you won this year.
      From,
      Ibrahim

Reply